Last updated on September 5th, 2018
According to a UK-based charity, the masses living in Yemen will become vulnerable to the deadly cholera in the coming days.
Save the Children, in a press release, has already warned that epidemic cholera spreads the most during the summer months.
The release further stated that over 3,000 suspected cholera cases have been reported in the early July across the country, which is the highest recorded figure in 2018 so far.
“Cholera could spread like wildfire in Yemen, potentially infecting thousands of children and completely overwhelming an already-crippled health system,” the charity’s CEO Helle Thorning-Schmidt said.
“Numerous hospitals have been destructed, and those that are still functioning are not properly equipped. Doctors are not paid their salaries, local pharmacies are under-stocked, and power cuts are recurrent.”
Yemen is now home to the world’s deadliest humanitarian crisis, adversely affecting more than 22.2 million people, who are in a dire need of help for survival. Malnutrition, cholera, and other diseases have taken the lives or sickened numerous civilians.
The charity was anxious that Hodeidah could be majorly affected by the epidemic, as a Saudi and UAE war-ridden coalition, against the Houthi rebels in the northern part of the country, warns to siege the region.
If the strategic port city becomes besieged, more than 350,000 people will be devastated, who could not flee,” Save the Children added.
On June 13, the Yemeni government forces – backed by the Saudi and UAE coalition – waged an extensive operation to recapture Hodeidah and its strategically-situated seaport from Houthi rebels. Over 121,000 people have migrated from the country since then.
“We’re terrified of another outbreak as the number of cholera cases is increasing day by day as the Yemen civil war continues,” Dr Mariam Aldogani said.
“the present-day conditions imply that it could be difficult to get things under control. Water chlorination isn’t a serviceable solution, the summer heat is grim, there’s trash lining the streets, and the health system has almost devastated.”
Poverty-stricken Yemen has been wracked by violence errupted by the Saudi-led coalition, since the Houthis took-over much of the country, including the capital Sanaa, in 2014.
The fight intensified in 2015 when Saudi Arabia and allies – who charge the Houthis of being Iranian proxies – opened up a massive air strikes in Yemen, aimed at regaining the rebel gains. However, Iran and the Houthis have denied the accusations.
Today, the four-year long Yemen civil war has left 11.3 million children depended on the humanitarian assistance from other countries. Nearly eight million children remain hungry every day, and 80 per cent of people depend on aid authorities for essentials, including food and healthcare.