Gunshots by a 48-year-old local man killed four in Fredericton

Fredericton shooting
Last updated on September 5th, 2018

On Friday morning, the second-largest country of the world, Canada witnessed a woeful incident. In Fredericton shooting four people, including two officers and a local musician, were killed in New Brunswick. This has led to calls for the renewal on weapons bans in Canadian cities.

Coming together, the Canadians displayed their accolade towards them. The flags were lowered to half-staff, makeshift memorials were created, and tributes were paid on social media.

The deceased officers were Lawrence Robert Costello (45) and Sara Mae Helen Burns (43). The police didn’t provide any information about the other two victims, who were identified as an adult male and an adult female.

At a news conference, Fredericton’s leader Mike O’Brien said, “As mayor, this is something I never wanted to live through. We will get through this together.”

Deputy Police Chief Martin Gaudet also informed at the conference, the two officers came upon two bodies, while responding to a report of firing in a residential area of Fredericton. He said that the officers were killed as they approached the victims.

Several people were taken to hospitals for serious injuries, including the gunman. No information about the injuries and on how they were incurred, were disclosed by the officials. However, the attacker was identified as a 48-year-old local man.

The city of around 60,000 people, Fredericton was in a shock due to the gunshots, which were followed by a two-hour lockdown in the neighborhood. Such a violence is rare in the city, while homicides are almost non-existent. Such an incident in the city last occurred in 2014.

No information regarding the motive behind the shooting and the type of gun used was revealed. Deputy Chief Gaudet informed that the investigation has been handed over to the Fredericton branch of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

On Friday morning, the police advised the neighbors to lock their doors and stay inside their houses, for about two hours. Moreover, a four-mile stretch of the road was also shut down by the officers.

As the news of the gunshots spread across the country, politicians, police officers and other Canadians expressed their grief.

In a statement, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said, “There is no greater gesture than to put oneself in harm’s way to protect the life of another. This morning, first responders rushed to the scene of danger. We will not forget the two fallen police officers whose sacrifice no doubt saved lives and prevented even greater tragedy.”

Write a response

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

True News Source © Copyright 2018. All rights reserved.