Last updated on September 5th, 2018
Jacksonville (Florida): What was supposed to be joyful Sunday outing for the people visiting the Florida Mall, turned out to be a frightening experience.
A gunman opened fire at an online video game tournament in Florida, while it was streamed live from the mall. The executioner killed two people and then fatally shot himself, before injuring several others.
Sheriff Mike Williams said, authorities believe 24-year old David katz carried out the attack using at least one handgun at Jacksonville Landing, a lane of restaurants and shops along the St. Johns River.
The cop said that the man died from a self-inflicted gunshot, however the final identity of the suspect was still not issued and FBI is looking into the matter.
The wild gunshots ended up injuring at least 9, but the victims were reported as safe and in stable condition. Williams added, two others were hurt as people started running in order to protect themselves from the chaos.
The 24-year old was in Jacksonville for the “Madden NFL 19” video game tournament, and the game makers EA lists him as a champion of the 2017.
The investigators said they were looking into the matter using the footage that captured the scene right before the shooting began. A red dot that appears to be a laser pointer is visible on the chest of a player, before about a dozen shots were fired.
The witnesses Marquis Williams, and his girlfriend, Taylor Poindexter, were ordering pizza at the bar when they heard the first shot.
“Initially we thought it was a balloon popping, but there weren’t any balloons in the room,” said Williams, who had taken part in the tournament earlier. “Then we heard repeat shots and we took off running.”
Williams added: “The first shot everybody just turned and looked. After the second, third and fourth shots, everybody took off and ran for the exits.”
Poindexter, was at the event to gain some amazing experience, but instead the happening scared the wit out of her. She said she never saw face of the man who was shooting, but recollected “We did see him with two hands on a gun walking back just pooping rounds.”
In Washington, White House spokesperson Sarah Huckabee Sanders said President Donald Trump had been briefed on the attack and the White House was monitoring the situation.
This is not first the first time that civilians have been targeted in an open area. However, what remains to be seen is the steps that authorities must now take to prevent incidents like these.