Search

Libya Field Hospital hit by an airstrike, killing 5 doctors

An airstrike conducted by forces allied with insurgent military commander Khalifa Haftar on the Libyan soil killed five doctors, including one paramedic. The attack was confirmed by the UN-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) on Sunday.

Health ministry spokesperson Lamine al-Hashemi said: “The field hospital built on the airport road in southern Tripoli was hit by an air strike.” Hashemi claimed that five doctors were killed and seven people, including rescuers had been injured in the latest attack pulled off by a Haftar warplane.

The Libyan National Army (LNA) of Khalifa Haftar is backed by France, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Egypt and Russia. The unrest in Libya began in April 2019 after his forces launched an offensive to take Tripoli under his control.

The forces loyal to Government of National Accord (GNA) are fighting from the outskirts of Tripoli, with both the warring parties carrying out frequent airstrikes.

According to the reports, Haftar’s forces have not confirmed or even denied its involvement in the attack.

Ever since the war started, medical facilities in Libya, including field hospitals and ambulances, are at a risk of being hit by the drone attacks.

A source reporting from the field said, “Medical workers got hands on the remains of the guided rocket that hit the facility. The workers believe that it was most likely launched from a drone, provided by the UAE that has been a stern supporter of Haftar’s forces since the beginning.

Saturday’s attack was the third aimed at the hospital facility in south of Tripoli. The second attacked, conducted on July 16, wounded three doctors and a paramedic at Swani Hospital close to the capital city.

International rights groups and the World Health Organization (WHO) have been persistently urging both the warring parties to refrain from bombing medical staff, clinics and hospitals.

The conflict, so far, has claimed the lives of at least 1,100 people, and wounded over 5,750, according to the WHO. Plus, 100,000 civilians have been forcibly displaced.

Write a response

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close
True News Source © Copyright 2018. All rights reserved.
Close