From a wedding hall to hospital, Saturday night in Kabul that was serving savories to its guests, ended in dismay after suicide bomber detonated explosives at the venue. The incident led to 63 deaths, whilst injuring more than 180 people, government spokesman Feroz Bashari confirmed.
The widespread carnage in the region has been central to Taliban, but the rebel group denied responsibility of the attack. Later, the Islamic State group claimed the attack.
One of the wounded, Mohammad Toofan, said that a ” lot of guests were martyred.” Moreover, the blast at the Dubai City wedding hall has also been linked with minority Shiite Hazara community, which was present on the occasion.
Kabul’s wedding halls have been the center for recreation, especially after weary attacks on humanity. However, the recent blasts have put the practice under scanner.
“Devastated by the news of a suicide attack inside a wedding hall in Kabul. A heinous crime against our people; how is it possible to train a human and ask him to go and blow himself (up) inside a wedding,” Sediq Seddiqi, spokesman for President Ashraf Ghani, wrote on Twitter.
Afghanistan is struggling through troubled waters since the diplomatic talks between the United States and Taliban looked close to a deal on ending the war. The Afghan government, which has been sidelined from the talks said, they were still waiting to hear from President Donald Trump and his team of national security advisors.
Saturday’s night explosion came a few days after the end of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha, and just before Afghanistan marks its 100th independence day on Monday. Even earlier this month, a Taliban car bomb aimed at Afghan security forces exploded, killing 14 people and wounding 145.
“We want the government to stop arguing about power and act like a human being to bring peace to this country,” a worker at the wedding hall, Hajji Reza, said Sunday.